Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Star light, star bright

I tried to sit down and write a short story last night, and all I could come up with was a paragraph character sketch of a girl named Lucy. I've worked on her description off and on for quite a while, but I can't seem to get past that point. I just don't have any discipline now that I'm not in school. I am the type of person who can't get things down unless I'm under the pressure of a deadline. The motivation is there, but not the discipline. What's wrong with me!

Well, here's what I have so far:

Lucy was the sun. When people looked at her, she burned red with awkward self awareness. Beneath the eye contact she felt like an orange without a peel, her juicy parts naked to the elements.

She wanted to be the moon, so that when people looked she would glow with grace and feel like a daffodil caught in a breeze.

As the sun she shoulders the galaxy, boiling under the constant glare of the planets.


I wrote more, but I'm starting to hate it. Reading it now, it seems like a disjointed, clumsy metaphor with some poor word choices. Hopefully it manages to give some idea of who this character is, or what she feels.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com