Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Call Me Veruca Salt

Last night I was chatting with two of my girlfriends over a bottle of wine, and we were remembering our first impressions of each other. I told my friend that when I first met her, I thought she was sweet, but somewhat annoying. After we met, I remember telling people, "P is a nice girl, but I can only stand her for 15 minutes at a time."

She replied that when she met me, she thought I was a snob. This response intrigued me, and I started to see myself in a new light. I have never considered myself a snob; actually, I see myself as the outcast who has been shunned by the snobs, and has subsequently taken on a cynical and anti-social persona.

This might sound strange, but I'm so glad that she perceived me as a snob! I took it as a compliment because I never thought that I had enough confidence to exude that type of attitude. I love finding out what people think of me before they know me; it really lets me see myself from a new perspective.

On that note, this was my horoscope today:

"Self-examination is revealing. But don't let it turn into narcissism."

Oh well, what's wrong with a little narcissism every once and a while.

PS. I've made quite a few Willy Wonka references lately, but it's one of my favorite movies of all time, and perhaps I am subconsciously rebelling against the new Tim Burton version. I mean, I love Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, and I will definitely go see the film, but part of me is thinking "If it isn't broken...."

No one could ever compete with Gene Wilder, and how dare they try!

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com