Friday, January 28, 2005

Loves sushi, will travel

Lately I've been searching for job openings online, and I've come across some teaching jobs in Japan. There are companies that will train me, assist in relocation, and offer a year contract to teach English in Japan. It seems so intriguing to me! It would give me the chance to travel and experience new things for a year, while allowing me time to contemplate my long term career goals. My fiance loves the idea as well, so I know that he would go with me.

I've been wanting to change employment because I don't feel that my current job is really leading me on the path that I want to go, career-wise. However, I also don't think I'm ready to "settle" into anything permanent with a specific company. That's why this teaching job seems so perfect. It's temporary, it would look great on a resume, and the entire experience would probably be good for me.

That's not to say that there aren't any downsides. I've never lived far from my family--I've never traveled to another country. It would be challenging and perhaps scary, but maybe I need to be taken out of my comfort zone for a while. If it turns out to be horrible, I can always come home. Having someone with me will make things easier. If I was single, I might still be interested in the job, but I don't know if I could handle the transition to another country on my own.

I'm going to do some research first on what it's like to teach in Japan. My goal would be to wait until after the wedding and then apply for the job. That gives me almost an entire year to think it over and get prepared. The more I think about it, the more exciting it seems.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com