Thursday, August 12, 2004

I'm 23 and I've never known anyone, besides aquaintences, who has died. I've never even faced the death of a pet--they all either ran away or were given away. I could feel that I'm lucky, but instead I feel the opposite. Since I have never had to confront death, somehow it doesn't exist to me. When I actually stop and think about the concept, it scares me so much that I can't seem to function. People can talk about death all they want, but it's not the same until you experience it with someone you love. That's why I know that when it happens to me, I might not be able to handle it. If I had been forced to face it at an earlier age, I think I might be more prepared. It's very unnatural; I know that death happens to other people, but it hasn't happened yet to me. And every year I have this impending sense of doom that gets bigger and bigger, because I know that things won't be this way forever. And the thought that runs through my mind is how many days do I have left until something bad happens? I'm not religious, but thank God it didn't happen while my brother was in Iraq. I guess this is what my birthday evokes, the sense that another year has passed, and things are great, but they can't be forever.
I guess I should turn to the poets.

AFRAID? Of whom am I afraid?
Not death; for who is he?
The porter of my father’s lodge
As much abasheth me.

Of life? ‘T were odd I fear a thing
That comprehendeth me
In one or more existences
At Deity’s decree.

Of resurrection? Is the east
Afraid to trust the morn
With her fastidious forehead?
As soon impeach my crown!

---Emily Dickinson

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com