Monday, November 22, 2004

Child of the KORN

I saw KORN in concert last week; it was my third time going to see them live. I took my younger brother for his birthday because he had never seen them. We've both been huge fans ever since high school. I can still remember the first time I heard Life Is Peachy. I was visiting my friend in Florida for a few weeks in the summer, and we were stuck in her house for an entire week due to a tropical storm. She had two CD's to listen to: Life is Peachy and The Best of Oingo Boingo--so that's all we listened to all day long.

Interestingly enough, I was so captivated by Korn, that I didn't ever get sick of the songs. It was unlike anything I had heard before, and I fell in love with it. I'm not you're typical metal fan; I don't just like Korn because they are what some people would consider hardcore. In fact, I have strong disdain for what I consider mindless head-banging metal that is loud and harsh for what seems to be no reason (Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie come to mind). What I love about Korn is that they are hardcore, but there is real emotion and meaning behind their dark sound. Their music is truly creative and original, and to me it's beautiful. Every album is a unique experience.

Getting back to the concert-- it was still so exciting to see the band even though it wasn't my first time. My brother had a great time, and he seemed genuinely excited. There was a bit of nostalgia and sadness knowing that it was their greatest hits tour, which seemed somewhat ominous, like the beginning of the end. But overall I had an awesome time, and my heart still fluttered at the sight of Jonathon Davis (and David, the hot drummer, of course)....sigh. At the risk of sounding like a typical head-banger, KORN ROCKS!

P.S. I love Oingo Boingo too.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com