Monday, November 15, 2004

afterglow

I had a rather eventful & fabulous weekend in which I somehow managed to watch two new movies (NEW meaning movies I hadn't seen, as opposed to watching The Princess Bride for the 400th time), get some reading done, have an up-close celebrity sighting, go out for a romantic dinner with my fiance--all after sleeping in on both Sat and Sun until late hours of the morning. It was the perfect weekend!

Movie #1: Punch Drunk Love
Although some might say that this film is adorable and romantic (girls who have a crush on Adam Sandler), I found it difficult to follow and rather boring. I usually like off-beat, unconventional films which display creativity and originality, but this movie really tried my patience. Movies can be original and still make logical sense. After being just plain lost for the first half hour, I finally realized that this film was an experiment in sound and an exaggerated adaptation of the love story genre. I personally found the soundtrack to be annoyingly persistant and the characters uninteresting.

Movie #2: Something's Gotta Give
In my opinion this film was funny and refreshing, although I'm sure many would say it was predictable. I love the fact that it looked at the dilemma of the older single woman in the world of dating and sex. How great is it that after years of keeping her clothes on, Diane Keaton decided to disrobe at her age! I love it, and I'm not even old yet. It was also nice to see the tables turned on Jack Nicholson, the eternal bachelor who only dates women under 30. I got to see him have a heart attack, cry several times, and have a mature relationship with someone his own age. I don't really distinguish him from the character in the movie, so it was nice to see him grovel and suffer even if only on the big screen. The best part of this movie was the relationship between Diane Keaton and Keanu Reeves. I hope that when I'm in my fifties or sixties, some young doctor will fall madly in love with me.

Reading in Progress: Battle Royale
I'm about half way through this Japanese novel, and so far it is awesome! Violence, drama, and psychological thrills--all from a group of Jr. High School students.

Celebrity Sighting: Gwen Stefani & Gavin Rossdale!!!!
My fiance brought me with him for a side job on Sunday putting up press walls for Gwen's record release party at The Standard in LA. I didn't think I would see anyone because we usually set up way before the parties get started, but there was a slim chance. Right before we started setting up the walls, Gwen and Gavin walk right onto the red carpet where we were standing. I love LA and Hollywood! Proximity to celebrities is exciting and depressing all at once...I was starstruck and giddy, but I also felt the urge to stop eating. Yes, it's pathetic, but I imagined how great it would be to look that skinny and glamourous on a red carpet being gawked at by adoring fans... I would settle for being a respected writer, who happens to be gorgeous. ;)

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com