Thursday, May 26, 2005

Father can you hear me?

When I was a little girl, my inner thoughts almost entirely consisted of conversations with God. It could be said by some that God was my imaginary friend--but I'm not saying that. I don't still talk to him, but for all I know he really was listening to me all those years.

I specifically remember directing my thoughts to him whenever I really wanted something. My thoughts would go something like this: Ok God, I know I've asked for things before, but if you give me [insert childhood desire] I promise never to ask for anything again. Just do this one thing for me so I know for sure that you exist. This is your last chance to prove to me that you are real. Please Please Please. Show me a sign.

And this would continue until I realized he wasn't going to grant my wish. Why did I equate God with a Genie? In my mind it seemed like God was this creature with tremendous powers, so how hard could it be for him to make me happy? It would be a win-win situation. I would get what I want, and he would have a lifetime believer in a world of cynics.

The funny thing was that my wishes were typically magical in nature. It wasn't like I asked for a pile of money (well, sometimes I did, but not often). Here are some examples of what I prayed for with great intensity:

~The ability to fly (Yes it's cliche, but it would be lovely).
~To become a mermaid (This one lasted for years, thanks to Disney).
~To be a princess in a castle with unicorns. (Looking back, I don't see the payoff with this one).

They weren't the most practical goals, but I figured they were easy tasks for someone like God.

Sometimes I just wished for small glimpses of his existence. I would say things like, Just send a shooting star across the sky right now, and I will believe in you. I think back on it, and it makes me sad. I mean, I know that if there is a God, he must be busy, blah blah blah. To have faith in him means you don't need proof--blah blah blah. But jeez, would it really have been THAT HARD to send a shooting star?

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com