Friday, February 04, 2005

Hurts so good

In the last week I have seen two exceptional films that I must mention. They both caught me off guard, as I wasn't particularly excited about seeing them. Over the last year, I've really had to force myself to sit down and watch a movie. I just haven't been in the mood. My disappointment in certain films has really made it difficult for me to take on chance on movies that I don't already know I'm going to love. But the experience of sitting through these two amazing films has made me realize that it's worth sitting through some bad ones to find the great ones. In other words, I need to start watching more movies!


Sideways
This movie made me laugh, cry, and contemplate my existence. (Yes, it's about a writer, so I realize not everyone will be as moved by the story). I also happen to love wine, so I found this theme interesting as well. I don't know much about wine other than the fact that I prefer the red variety. This movie didn't exactly make me want to go out and refine my palette; but it did make me want to try something other than merlot (which is normally the only type I buy). I'll still settle for less than $10 bucks a bottle--but I will swirl the wine around in the glass before I sip.


Hero
This movie had me in tears for almost an hour. But they were those tears that feel so good, that you just want to indulge in for the rest of the night. All I can say is that it was the most beautiful film I've ever seen. I was already a fan of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, so I was apprehensive about seeing this movie because I thought it might just be too much of the same thing. I was absolutely wrong! (You won't hear me say that often)

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com