Monday, September 04, 2006

Back to School

I'm pretty much settled in Boston...wow I can't believe it's been so long since I visited my little blog. Since then I've left behind all my friends and family, driven across the country, and moved into a tiny apartment in the South Shore of Boston. The last three weeks since I moved in have been strange. Everything has gone smoothly, but the reality of being all alone in this city has started to hit my husband and I. We both have really enjoyed the experience so far, but sometimes I can tell he is as scared as I am about how things are going to go for the next year and a half.

Unlike our situation in California, where both of us had very busy, separate social lives with a lot of great friends-- out here we only have each other. We've already fought once. Sometimes when we spend too much time together, we do get sick of each other (which is normal for everyone I'm sure). It's something that we'll have to deal with-- and of course since I'm the reason we moved here I'm feeling guilty for putting our marriage (of less than one year, no less) into this situation. But, I'm trying my best to look on the bright side. Once I start school I think things will improve, because I won't be stuck in the house everyday like I've been.

Working from home has been interesting. I'm very productive, but it's definitely lonely. I don't want to be one of those people who stays in their PJs all day eating doritos-- so I make sure to get dressed and ready as if I were going out on most days. It makes me feel less cooped up. I LOVE having mornings to relax and drink my coffee. No more getting up at 5am and sitting through two hours of traffic- it's wonderful.

The city of Boston is pretty amazing. This weekend we went shopping downtown and walked through Boston Common. Having dealt with California traffic for so long, I absolutely love the public transportation out here. I am within walking distance to the T station, and from there it's just twenty minutes or so into the city.

So overall there have been ups and downs...but I'm optimistic for the future. I start classes tomorrow, so I'm feeling my usual anxiety over that. It's very weird to be back in school. Every year at the start of the semester I used to have nightmares about getting lost and being late, so I'm sure that's how it will go tonight -- if I get any sleep at all. How do I keep myself upbeat?? I just imagine the advertising job I'll have in two years while living in Manhattan...haha well it's a nice thought.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com